WHAT IS BIOCOAL?
It is a clean, renewable fuel in the form of briquettes, which is produced from low quality biomass, biomass wastes and municipal solid waste normally used for land-fill, that replaces coal as a source of power generation.
- It is pollution-free with no sulfur or hazardous materials, no greenhouse gas emissions and no black smoke
- It is easy to burn with a lower ignition temperature than coal
- It performs better and more reliably than coal
- It has a high specific density and can be transported and stored easily
- It is more economical and cheaper than coal and wood
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Biocoal is produced by the process of torrefaction (roasting in French), which reduces biomass volume, improves energy content, removes smoke-producing compounds and yields a solid uniform product with a lower moisture content and a higher energy content
- The Israeli E.B. Clean Energy company has developed a prototype of a torrefaction plant and proved the feasibility of its torrefaction technology. Prior to going to commercialization, it is necessary to perform co-firing tests in coal-fired boilers, in conjunction with the Israel Electric Corporation. These tests will require the production of 2500 tons of biocoal.
HOW DOES IT HELP?
- It provides an environmentally-friendly source of energy
- It reduces the cost of energy
HOW YOU CAN HELP
It costs US $ 1,700,000* to perform the tests needed in order to commercialize biocoal.
Every dollar you contribute will help replace for coal with a clean, renewable fuel! Donate now
The project is also supported by matching government funds.